This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
The beauty product market continues to boom and bring new changes to safer, natural ingredients that many people can find an option that best fits them. Deodorants and antiperspirants are part of the world of beauty products, even if it is not as sexy to talk about in comparison to sexy, bold red lips. The critical difference between antiperspirant and deodorant is simple; based on that, you will determine what you need to use.
Difference between antiperspirant and deodorant
Antiperspirants are the only ones that will prevent you from sweating, as the name suggests. The ingredients in antiperspirants lead to no sweat by blocking the sweat glands. The ingredients used are often considered controversial and unsafe in the safety department. In contrast, deodorants eliminate the odor of perspiration, but you will still sweat because it is a normal bodily function. Deodorants stop the scent using ingredients that prevent the bacteria from causing the putrid smell with natural ingredients. Whether you need a potent antiperspirant to effectively combat sweat or are transitioning to natural deodorants, the market is teeming with many options catering to every individual's needs.
Confused about which Kushae product to try first? Take the Kushae quiz to find a personalized product selection.
Natural vs. non natural - what ingredients to stay away fromNatural Deodorant
- The natural deodorant market has become very popular over the last few years because the ingredients are safer and often plant-based. Deodorants neutralize odor-causing bacteria and soothe the skin with ingredients such as:
- Coconut oil - fights bacteria naturally
- Sage oil - soothes irritated skin
- Arrowroot powder or other starches - absorb wetness
- Probiotics - help balance skin's microbiome & neutralize odor
- AHA - exfoliates & smooths skin texture
- Niacinamide - minimizes irritation & reduces inflammation
- Essential oils - eliminate odor
- The switch to natural deodorant is beneficial for your health and well-being. By doing so, exposure to toxic, cancer-causing ingredients, such as aluminum, parabens, and synthetic chemicals, will be minimized.
- At one point, non-natural deodorants were the only option for purchase in stores worldwide. Though they work the same way as natural deodorants to eliminate odor and reduce sweat, many ingredients in non-natural deodorants are harmful and controversial. Here are some of the key ingredients that you should stay away from:
- Aluminum - may cause breast cancer & Alzheimer's disease
- Alcohol & baking soda - may cause irritation in sensitive skin types
- Fragrance - can cause endocrine disruption, health & productive issues
- Parabens - may lead to hormonal disruption & increase risk of cancer
- Sulfates - can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions in sensitive skin types
Do you need to have a different deodorant for your vulva and your armpits?
Yes, you need a different deodorant for your vulva and armpits. Based on differences in these areas, such as their sensitivity and delicacy, you must use two separate products, even if the deodorant is suitable for the underarm and vulvar area. The vulva is a sensitive area, and it is necessary to maintain a pH balance between 3.8 to 5.0 for optimal vaginal health, which is affected by foreign bacteria and harsh chemicals. Therefore, you should never use deodorant on your vulvar, specially made for armpits, as it could disrupt pH balance, vaginal irritation, dryness, and itching.
Should men have a different deodorant than women?
Unless you are pregnant and hormonal, you may want to use a specific deodorant catered to pregnant people. But for the most part, men and women do not need a different deodorant because the main influences are your personal needs, preferences, and sensitivities. Deodorants for women often have fruity or floral odors, while the ones for men are more musky. If you prefer certain scents in your deodorant, then you may want to go by gender. Overall, the ingredients in both products are similar, and there is not much difference between them.
Regardless of your choice, you should expect to feel and smell fresh. Thus, we recommend you figure out what you need based on your needs, personal comfort, sensitivities, sweat levels, and other important factors that matter to you. The best natural deodorant for you may come from your first purchase, or you may need to shop around and try different brands and formulas. So experiment with other brands or learn how to make your own deodorants to find the best deodorant that works for you.
Kushae Natural Feminine Deodorant Spray
- OB/GYN and our co-founder, Dr. Barb, combined 7 natural ingredients in our fragrance-free feminine deodorant to stop sweaty, musty odors on your vulva — all day. You don't need a toxic perfume cloud to mask your scent anymore. Our feminine deodorant spray neutralizes bacteria on the skin so you can be YOU… naturally fresh! We highly recommend this option if you have hair on your 'Kushae.'
Kushae Natural Feminine Deodorant Stick
- Dr. Barb combined 8 natural ingredients in our Feminine Deodorant Stick to neutralize odor-causing bacteria. A few swipes of your Kushae deodorant stick puts the power in your hands to kiss offensive vulva odors buh-bye – no matter the time of year or "time of the month." Our no-gunk formula is best for women who rock a bare/hair-free "Kushae" (vulva).