This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Hey Kushae Babes,
Happy New Year!
It is 2023, and we at Kushae are here to tell you to ditch: the toxic friends, relationships, and feminine hygiene products.
This new year, make sure to 'take care of your vulva like you take care of your skin,' which means paying close attention to the feminine hygiene products - pads, tampons, douches, wipes, powders, and deodorizers - you use and their ingredients.
Many feminine hygiene brands use toxic chemicals in their products, such as parabens, pesticides, dioxins, fragrances, and dyes. These ingredients may lead to irritation, disrupt the pH balance of your vagina, and cause feminine odors, unusual discharge, and even cancer.
A 2013 study by Chem Fatale found evidence of dioxins, phthalates, and other carcinogens like furans in six tampon brands. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 'dioxins can cause short-term health issues like skin lesions and altered liver functions. Long-term exposure can impair the immune system, the developing nervous system, the endocrine system, and reproductive functions.'
It Only Takes 26 Seconds
The skin on your vulva and vagina is sensitive and absorbent, meaning any chemicals used down there can enter your bloodstream within seconds. Because the vulva and vagina can quickly absorb chemicals without breaking them down, our bodies are exposed to a higher percentage of the chemicals. That is why it is important that you use non-toxic feminine care products for your vulva and vagina and always read or scan your labels.
Confused about which Kushae product to try first? Take the Kushae quiz to find a personalized product selection.
How To Protect Your Vulva, Vagina, and Yourself
Do your research and read your labels carefully and look for any of the below toxic chemical ingredients in your feminine hygiene products:
- SLS/Sulfates: is commonly used as cleansing in soaps and shampoos, known; they may cause irritation to your eyes, skin, mouth, and lungs. People with sensitive skin and certain skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and rosacea should avoid products that contain SLS.
- Fragrances: many fragrances contain a lot of toxic chemicals that companies do not disclose the ingredients under the purview of company secrets. Many of these fragrances are likely to contain allergens and may cause allergic rash, endocrine disruption, and cancer.
- Parabens: parabens can disrupt the hormones in the body and cause fertility issues, reproductive harm, and a higher risk of cancer. Parabens can also accelerate abnormal cell growth, increasing the risks of breast cancer diagnoses.
- Phthalates: are known endocrine disruptors, they can be harmful to the body and cause reproductive, neurological, and developmental issues.
- Polyoxymethylene Urea, also known as Urea-Formaldehyde: is a synthetic polymer that is used as a preservative in deodorant powders. This chemical can release formaldehyde in your body, can cause allergic rashes, and even cancer.
- EDTA: is used as a preservative in hair and skincare products; it can also be used to make the foaming abilities of feminine cleansers soaps, and body washes better. EDTA can cause skin irritation, and in severe cases may cause kidney damage and kidney failure.
When In Doubt, Always Choose Kushae
At Kushae, our products are formulated and tested by a woman OB/GYN with over 20 years of experience. Our products are fragrance, paraben, SLS, and alcohol-free; we make sure to avoid any chemicals that are harmful and toxic to your vulva and vagina because your health matters to us. Our products are also proudly made in the USA so you can rest assured that your vulva, vagina and body will always be safe.