This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Did you know that most women don't know what pH balance is?
Even though 70% of women have experienced a pH imbalance up to 5 times in their lives, many don't even know that they've dealt with a pH imbalance. When a woman's pH balance is "off," it can lead to bacterial infections, BV, yeast infection, and more. That's just crazy! So, how do we help all these beautiful women recognize pH imbalance and stay strong and healthy? We educate them on the importance of keeping that Kushae (aka vagina) happy and pH balanced.
What in The World is pH Balance?
First thing's first, here's the million-dollar question...what does pH balance mean? To understand female pH balance, you first need to know the pH scale. The pH scale measures just how much acid is in a substance. This scale runs from 0-14, with 0 being the most acidic (like a battery) and 14 having the most alkaline properties (like drain cleaner). A healthy vagina's pH should be between 3.8 and 4.5. This number may increase slightly with age, but this is normal for older women, so don't worry.
Why is Vaginal pH Balance So Important?
Everything in life needs balance to function. Just like your body needs both salt and water to thrive, or that we need both fire and water to survive, your Kushae needs to be balanced for it to function correctly.
To stay balanced, the vagina produces mucus that flushes out any harmful bacteria, blood, semen, or discharge to keep everything stabilized. If your pH is imbalanced, it can increase the risk of infections, STDs, and even infertility. This can also cause harmful bacteria in the vagina to give off an unpleasant odor or even instigate itching.
What Causes pH Imbalance?
There are many ways your pH can become imbalanced. Here are two things that often cause pH imbalance that women aren't even aware of!
Even simply wearing a tampon can cause an imbalance. As your body filters out harmful bacteria and blood, tampons hold those toxic substances in the vagina, increasing your pH level, thus causing an imbalance.
We already know to practice safe sex, but did you know sex can throw your pH all out of wack? Semen contains alkaline, which can disrupt your pH level. Not just semen alone, but another partner's genitals too. To avoid this, use condoms as often as possible.
Various other factors that could cause pH imbalance include menstruation, douching, antibiotics, and even introducing harsh soaps or fragrances to your Kitty, so please be mindful of that! Pay attention to try and notice if you get any offensive odor or if your vagina feels or smells "off" after any of these things listed above. If so, you'll know what typically causes your pH to become imbalanced and ways to prevent it. We want to keep her as happy and healthy as possible!
pH Regulation and Fertility
If you are trying to conceive or considering it, this portion is for you. The optimal pH level to conceive is also between 3.8 and 4.5. A stable pH level is essential for a healthy pregnancy. For sperm to fertilize an egg, it needs the proper environment to thrive and do its job. Think of your cervix as an oven; without the appropriate temperature, you would probably be left with cold lasagna! So as an oven, sperm needs a balanced pH level to produce that beautiful baby you're waiting oh so patiently for.
PS Sperm flourish in more alkaline conditions, so amazingly, in a female reproductive system with a pH level between 7-12, sperm can live as long as 48 hours! Insane right?
How to Keep Your pH Level Regulated
Now that we know some common causes of pH imbalance let's find out more about ways to keep your pH balanced and intact. Here are just a few tips to keep your vaginal pH regulated.
- Take Probiotic Supplements. Using probiotics can help restore the good bacteria that keep your level balanced.
- When Having Sex Use a Condom. Using condoms can prevent STDs and other infections but also keep your pH from being disrupted. Be mindful, though, that lubes can also throw off female pH balance. If so, no worries! Try the Kushae Boric Acid Suppositories to reset your pH and feel great again!
- Visit Your OB/GYN Often. Your OB/GYN can give you more information on your pH and help you find more ways to keep it regulated. If your OB/GYN diagnoses you with BV or bacterial vaginosis, they will likely prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics can be very harsh to your system as it kills all bacteria, both good and bad. Consider using a natural, safe, and fast solution to treating BV like the Kushae Boric Acid Suppositories to reset your pH and feel great again! Made from natural seawater, aloe, and apple cider vinegar, it is a natural and permanent solution to BV and yeast infections!
- Eat Yogurt, Sauerkraut, and Other Fermented Foods. Foods like these are high in the good bacteria that keep your pH balanced.
- Use All-Natural Feminine Hygiene Products. Using all-natural intimate products like the Kushae 2n1 Foaming Wash can keep your external pH level balanced and clean without the harsh effects of regular feminine hygiene products. When your pH has gone "out of whack" and you are experiencing BV (bacterial vaginosis) or yeast infections, you can use an all-natural, safe, and gentle solution like the Kushae Boric Acid Suppositories to reset your pH and feel great again!