This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Vaginal dryness is a common issue that many women have at some point in their lives. It can be caused by several things and is often temporary. Vaginal dryness does not become a concern until it is persistent. Many contributing factors lead to vaginal dryness as a side effect, so there is much to consider before pointing out the exact cause. We have listed a few of the most common reasons and recommendations about what you can do to relieve and soothe sudden vaginal dryness.
How It Feels - Symptoms
- Soreness or itchiness in and around vagina
- Pain during sex
- Frequent urination
- Recurring urinary tract infections (UTIs)
When you are feeling dry down there all of a sudden, you may feel sore or itchy in and around your vagina. You will want to soothe this itchiness but remember that scratching might not be too safe. By using a vaginal moisturizer, you might ease the dryness and put that inside the vagina to keep it moist. You will need to pee more often than usual and likely get recurring urinary tract infections (UTIs). There is a high likelihood of pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse, and abstaining from sex can become a temporary fix, or you can use water-based lubricants before sex. You can put the lube in and around your vagina, on your partner's fingers, on a sex toy if you're using one, and on your partner's penis. You can also incorporate more foreplay into your sex life, making you more aroused and less likely to feel pain or discomfort.
- Hormonal changes from pregnancy & breastfeeding: After giving birth, the estrogen level in your body tends to decrease and causes dryness. This drop significantly occurs in those who breastfeed their babies because breastfeeding suppresses estrogen release. The low estrogen also causes some people to not have their periods. After a while, when you breastfeed less, your body’s estrogen will increase and return to normal.
- Menopause: During perimenopause and menopause, your level of estrogen begins to drop. Due to the low estrogen, your vaginal lubrication decreases, and as a result, vaginal dryness is a common side effect.
- Cigarette smoking: People who are smokers may experience vaginal dryness. Smoking affects the blood flow to your body’s tissue, including your vagina. The lack of blood flow leads to drops in vaginal lubrication, sexual arousal, and stimulation.
Stress: Stress can lead to mental blocks that affect focus and makes it hard to become aroused and have vaginal lubrication. Your hormone levels will start to shift - testosterone, essential for arousal, will drop, and cortisol will increase. Since your body also will not have enough blood flow down there for vaginal secretion, chances of vaginal dryness and discomfort increase.
It’s uncomfortable to talk about vaginal dryness and vulvar discomfort because it’s a pretty awkward topic for most of us. Female dryness is a common problem that many women don’t know what to do about - and it’s often a cause of unnecessary pain in our day-to-day lives. You should not have to put up with this pain. You should be able to enjoy intimacy and walk around or even put on your underwear without worrying about discomfort.
At Kushae, we have a curated list of natural treatments for vaginal dryness; our non-toxic and gentle vaginal dryness products moisturize and hydrate your vagina and vulva for greater comfort down there and a more confident you. We made our recommendations depending on what kind of vaginal dryness you are experiencing. If the dryness is on the outer parts of your vagina/ vulvar area, we recommend an intimate wash (bottles or pouches) and vaginal moisturizer (which also helps prevent ingrown hairs). If the dryness is inside your vagina and hurts during sexual intercourse, our protective and lubricating balm is natural and irritant-free. It is also regarded as one of the best natural lubricants for menopausal dryness, inner thigh rubbing, and underboob sweat irritation by our customers. We hope you find a natural cure for female dryness with our products!