This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
What is chafing?
Chafing is a common skin irritation that occurs when your skin repeatedly rubs against another part of your skin. It can also happen when your skin rubs against clothing or other materials for a prolonged period. The repeated friction, moisture, and irritating fabrics worsen symptoms of chafing. The areas of your skin most likely to chafe will be the warm and moist areas of the skin. These areas include the buttocks, inner thighs, armpits, groin, vulva, feet, nipples, and under the breast. In mild cases, the repeated rubbing on the skin will sting or burn and develop into a mild, red rash. In more severe cases, chafing will include bleeding, swelling, discoloration, or crusting. Chafing is a painful skin condition that is usually mild and easily preventable and treatable. Let us show you how to prevent chafing and welcome some needed peace into your life!
Where are the places where chafing can happen?
Chafing can occur anywhere on your skin that has folds, but it can also occur in areas that do not because of repeated rubbing against other skin or clothing material.
- Thigh Chafing: Thigh chafing happens with skin-to-skin contact where your inner thighs rub against each other or through clothing. The chafing is worsened with hot heather and thick clothing like jeans. This type of chafing affects people of all sizes and shapes.
- Nipple & Breast Chafing: Areas under and between your breasts can easily and commonly experience chafing with skin-on-skin contact and skin-clothing friction. Chafing of the nipple is a common irritation for those who breastfeed and play sports.
- Groin & Vulva Chafing: Skin friction, clothing, and moisture make the groin area prone to chafing. Sensitive areas such as the vulva and other vaginal regions may be prone to chafing as they can be easily irritated.
- Underarms/ Armpit Chafing: Sweating, dry skin, and friction under your armpit can lead to chafing in that area. Many people are prone to experiencing underarm chafing, including those who work in warm climates, those who are obese, and those who actively play sports.
- Buttock Chafing: Buttock chafing may occur between the butt cheeks from skin-to-skin contact or underwear friction with the skin. It can also occur along the bottom of your buttocks, where it meets your upper legs.
How to prevent chafing
- Avoid anything causing the chafing - continued use will worsen the chafing.
- Wear loose & properly fitting clothes and wear100% cotton underwear to retain sweat and moisture
- Get fresh air
- Use deodorants for antiperspirants
- Use soft bandages on nipples, inner thigh, and feet for protection
- Remove wet clothes, and do not stay in sweaty clothes for a prolonged time
- Apply petroleum jelly, soothing balm, oil, or lotion for protection against friction and added protection.
Our team at Kushae has curated a detailed list of anti-chafing and irritation products so you can get the gentle comfort you deserve to protect, nourish, and restore your vulva from friction, chafing, and irritation.
Our Kushae anti-chafing and irritation products to try:
- The Kushae Protective Feminine Balm: No more chafing...anywhere!: The Kushae Protective Feminine Balm protects from chafing in every place in your body that needs it, under the breast, between the thighs, butt cheeks, anywhere! It naturally lubricates dry vulvar/vaginal skin for those lips down there. The Kushae Balm also provides maximum protection against sweat irritation for the inner thighs, between the cheeks, and vaginal areas.
- Kushae Natural Feminine Soothing Cream: This thick, ultra-hydrating formula calms irritation after shaving or waxing "down there. The Kusahe Soothing Cream is made with sea buckthorn, a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, aloe vera to soothe and moisturize the skin, and honey for protection.
- Kushae 2-N-1 Foaming Wash: Created by an OB/GYN, this non-toxic daily feminine wash balances your pH, moisturizes, nourishes, and deeply cleanses your vulva without stripping your skin. So you can say goodbye to vulvar irritation and dryness for GOOD!
- Kushae Premiere Silk Body Oil: This luxurious body oil provides hydrating moisture to the bikini area, cuticles, face, beard, and all over the body. Infused with Hemp Oil, this fast-absorbing dry oil is non-staining, is anti-inflammatory, and improves skin elasticity while leaving skin silky smooth. It contains Tea Tree Oil, a powerful antibacterial and antifungal, and Lemon Peel Oil, an antibacterial and light exfoliant.
- Kushae Premiere Exfoliating Scrub: Exfoliation just got sexier and gentler for your skin! Using nature's best ingredients, including hemp oil, for reducing inflammation, the Kushae Premiere Exfoliating Scrub keeps your skin supple and glowing as simple and sexy as it should be.
Simply put, you can prevent chafing by keeping the area experiencing the irritation dry, lubricating the area with aloe vera, petroleum jelly, or anti-chafing products, such as the Kushae Balm, and wearing ventilated clothing. Please keep in mind that if your symptoms worsen or you get infected, contact your healthcare provider immediately and make an appointment to get medical treatment.