This article is for informational purposes only. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Looking to spice things up in the bedroom? Luckily, there are better, easier ways to set the mood; all you have to do is eat delicious foods and have a glass of wine. The 7 aphrodisiacs mentioned have evidence to indicate they can increase sexual desire due to their effects on your mind. But it does not help to have some faith it will work! So ladies and gentlemen, look in your kitchen; you may already have these items.
- Maca - referred to as the Peruvian Viagra, Maca is a popular aphrodisiac plant used in South America for fertility and sex stimulants. This sweet root vegetable and popular superfood powder mainly grows in Peru and has been used for thousands of years for natural medicine. This plant also grows in the Andes Mountains from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost coast of the Caribbean. Organic maca powder can be found in health stores. Its nutmeg-like taste makes it an excellent addition to sweet-flavored drinks or meals such as smoothies, energy bars, oatmeal, baked goods, and more.
- Maca is used in other methods because of its ability to increase fertility, libido, and sexual function. A 2015 study found that maca may increase libido in postmenopausal women who take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants known to induce sexual dysfunction. Studies show that male and female participants can report increased desire within several weeks, most taking between 1.5 grams and 3.5 grams of maca per day for 2 to 12 weeks. Studies also show that in women, maca can help balance hormones during menopause and premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Maca helps boost moods, increase interest in sex, and lower depression and anxiety, all aspects of hormone imbalance that may decrease sex drive in women.
- Wine - more specifically, red wine is a stronger aphrodisiac than white wine. This is because wine stimulates the hypothalamus, the part of your brain that regulates your sexual drive. A study found women who drank one to two glasses of red wine daily expressed they were more satisfied sexually and had more sexual desire than those who did not drink wine.
- However, drinking too much and getting drunk may have the opposite effect and lessen your sexual desires. So, drink moderately and stick to one or two glasses of red wine.
- Ginseng - this Chinese herb is widely used as medicine to treat sexual function and desire in women and men. It is very effective at helping men with erectile dysfunction and heightening sexual arousal in postmenopausal women. Ginseng is reported to alter hormones due to its effects on the central nervous system (CNS).
- Caution: Those who are pregnant or with certain cancers should not take ginseng to improve sexual arousal and performance.
- Dark chocolate - has phenylethylamine (PEA), aka the love drug, which is a chemical that acts similarly to the effects of amphetamines in the brain by stimulating the release of chemicals dopamine and norepinephrine. These two hormones will make you feel good for a short while, but there is no scientific evidence that they will increase libido and sexual function.
- Dark chocolate also has tryptophan, an essential amino acid that can produce serotonin. Serotonin has a lot of benefits, such as lessening anxiety and improving sexual desire. Go ahead and buy yourself or your partner some dark chocolate (70% or more cocoa) to get the mood going for some quality time. Happy and horny, win-win all around!
Lean Red Meat
- Lean red meat - such as steak, can naturally boost female arousal because it increases the levels of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain. The release of these two neurotransmitters helps to increase sensitivity during sex for women for more pleasure. Men can also benefit from sexual improvement because protein-rich red meat like steak contains lots of zinc.
- Soy products - like tofu and edamame contain isoflavones which act as phytoestrogens that mimic the primary sex hormone in the female body, estrogen. Women, especially those in the menopausal or post-menopausal stage, can benefit from a higher sex drive with the boost of their libido through mimicking the estrogen.
- Watermelon - contains citrulline, an amino acid capable of relaxing and dilating blood vessels, increasing blood flow, and stimulating sexual desire. Watermelon also includes nitric acid, which helps increase blood flow and increases sexual arousal. Studies indicate that the effects are similar to enhancement drugs like viagra. Do not be discouraged, ladies; watermelon also has sexual benefits for women.